Permanent Hair Removal
IPL for Hair Removal
Get answers to your questions about IPL treatments and how the technology works.
Q: What can be treated with intense pulsed light systems – IPL?
Brenwood’s trained therapists offer a range of cost effective and professional treatments including:
- Permanent hair reduction
- The elimination of sun spots, freckles and other skin discoloration
- Removal of vascular lesions
- Skin rejuvenation
- Acne reduction
Q: Who is suitable for intense pulsed light treatments – IPL?
- Most people can have IPL treatment
- Your trained therapist should be able to determine your suitability
- Consult your doctor if you are not sure
- People who have been tanning or have dark skin may be at higher risk
Q: Does IPL treatment hurt?
- No skin desensitization is required
- You may feel a slight level of discomfort with each application
- This will reduce as the area being treated responds to the therapy
Q: Are there any side effects?
- Short term effects are possible
- Redness can occur in the area being treated
- This will disappear soon after the treatment
Q: What about down time after the treatment?
- Generally you can return to normal activities straight after
- A minimum of 2 weeks is required before exposure to sunlight
Q: Number of treatments and treatment frequency for each application:
- Permanent hair reduction: 8 – 10 treatments, spaced 2 – 8 weeks apart
- Sun spot reduction: 4 – 6 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart
- Vascular lesions: 4 – 6 treatments, spaced 2 weeks apart
- Skin rejuvenation: 4 – 6 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart
- Acne treatments: may be ongoing weekly or fortnightly
Q:What excludes me from treatments
- Certain medications can increase your photosensitivity these include some antibiotics and Roaccutane. At your consultation your therapist will ask for your medication history.
- It is not possible to treat over tattoos. Your tattoos will be shielded during treatment
- Recent changes to skin colour including sun exposure, tanning, self-tanning and spray tans
How long do IPL treatments take?
Your Intense Pulsed Light treatment takes around the same amount of time as a wax treatment for the same area. The first visit will be around 30 minutes to perform as we need to do a patch test and ask you some questions.
Why do I have to have many IPL treatments for hair reduction?
IPL targets the hair compound called melanin, this give hair the colour (pigmentation). Melanin is most prevalent in hair during the early-anagen phase of hair growth, and hairs in this stage of growth are the ones most responsive to Intense Pulsed Light. Ongoing treatments are needed to catch each hair as it passes through this early-anagen stage of development, that may result due to hormonal fluctuations though out your life-time.
Why are Laser/IPL treatments costly?
This simple reason for this is due to the high acquisition cost of machines, maintenance and the materials used during these treatments, are also very costly. However, when you consider the cost of waxing over the years, in addition to the time it takes out of your busy day – the benefits outweigh the initial upfront cost.
Will I have to come back for repeat skin rejuvenation treatments?
In relation to pigmentation – If you have skin that is easily sun-damaged (freckled) and pre-caution is not taken to protect your skin, by using sunscreen daily, in addition to prescribed serum that is designed to inhibit melanin from developing, it is likely you will need “top-up” treatments.
In relation to vascular lesions – It will depend what the trigger was. In some cases, you may only require a few treatments and no follow up, on the other hand, skin conditions such as Rosacea, will need on-going maintenance and home care for the best possible results.
What areas of the body can be treated?
Generally any part of the body can be treated. Exceptions include areas in close proximity to the eyes, the inner ear and nose.
The most popular areas for hair removal are the underarms, bikini, upper lip, chin, face, legs, back & chest.
The most popular areas for skin treatments are the face, arms, hands, décolletage and legs.
Before you commence any IPL program you receive a comprehensive consultation which covers
- Suitability for treatment
- Cost of treatments
- Number of treatments required
- Pre and Post Care needed
- Treatment Frequency
You will receive a treatment plan outlining your program. It is important that you remain committed to continuing your program to achieve the desired results. Timing is EVERYTHING.
Electrolysis is a method of removing individual hairs from the face or body. Today’s electrolysis devices destroy the growth centre of the hair with heat energy. After a very fine probe is inserted into the hair follicle, an electric current is applied and the hair is removed with tweezers.
Most areas of the body can be treated with electrolysis, including the eyebrows, face, abdomen, thighs, breasts, and legs and is very effective on treating grey hair.
15mins – $40
Sugaring hair removal is an ancient Middle Eastern practice that uses an all-natural paste made from sugar, water, and lemon juice. It removes the hair follicle from the root with results that can last up to six weeks.
Over time the hair follicle becomes denatured and can significantly reduce hair growth.
Because sugar is kept at room temperature there is no risk of burning your skin! This is where the sugaring magic begins to happen. When the sugar paste is massaged onto the skin, it allows the paste to seep into the follicles which in turn allows the body hair to “slide” out more comfortably for a complete extraction without hair breakage. Side effect… some clients actually fall asleep during sugaring.
Now that’s smoooooth…!
Full Bikini $90 (first visit)
Full Bikini $70 (Frequent)
Bikini G – String – $55
Eyebrows – $30